Are you tired of your makeup routine? Want to know how you can liven up your everyday look?
The answer is to use colored contact lenses. In this post, you’ll learn everything you need to know about using colored contact lenses to create a look that is uniquely you. This post will cover everything from knowing what colored lenses to choose based on your complexion to contact lens care and safety procedures.
- Match the color of your contact lenses to your skin tone.
Just received your prescription and are about to buy colored contact lenses for the first time? To make your investment worth it, the most important thing you need to remember is to choose colored contact lenses that complement your skin tone.
While choosing the right color isn’t an exact science, the general rule is to choose a color that works well with your complexion. You can use these basic guidelines when choosing the color of your contact lenses.
- Fair skin tone – If you have a fair complexion, choose colored contact lenses in shades of blue or gray. These colors will complement your skin and brighten your eyes, making them look more alluring. Shades like brilliant blue, aqua, and turquoise are all excellent options.
- Medium skin tone – This means having olive or beige skin. The great thing about having this skin tone is that there is a wider range of colored lenses to choose from. Colors that will suit you include hazel, honey, and green.
- Warm skin tone – You have a warm skin tone if your complexion is bronze to dark. If you have this skin tone, then opt for warm colors. You can wear lenses with shades such as honey, brown, and gray.
2. Take advantage of contrasts when applying makeup
See that GIF below?
The color wheel will play a vital role in the colors of makeup you choose to pair with your contact lenses. Wearing makeup with colors that match your lenses isn’t wrong, but using color contrasts is much better.
Taking advantage of color contrasts will bring out the color of your eyes and make them pop. By wearing makeup this way, you’ll take your look to the next level and stand out from the crowd.
Wondering how to use the color wheel when wearing makeup with colored contact lenses? Here’s an example:
Let’s say you’re wearing blue lenses. The opposite of the color blue on the wheel is orange. This doesn’t mean you have to wear orange makeup, but it does give you an idea of what color makeup you can use. In this case, you can use makeup with shades of gold, copper, or brown.
Here are other ways you can use contrasts to make your eyes stand out:
- Green lenses – Makeup with shades of pink and purple will create a stunning look that you can wear in the office or during a night out.
- Violet lenses – For your eyeliner, try black or brown. For eyeshadow, you can go with shades of gold, brown, or copper.
- Hazel lenses – Contrasts for hazel lenses include shades of blue, green, and purple.
3. Use the right makeup techniques.
Knowing which makeup technique goes well with which lens color can mean the difference between dull-looking makeup and a beautiful, vibrant face. Feel free to experiment and create your own look later on, but try to start with these popular techniques first:
- Smoky eyes – Smokey eyes are perfect when you’re wearing blue contact lenses. The dark shade of smokey eyes will bring out the blue in your eyes and make them seem even brighter.
- Warm undertones – Accentuate your green lenses by wearing makeup with warm undertones. This means using makeup with shades of bronze (matte bronzer), gold, and brown.
- Orange tones – Elevate the look of your gray lenses by using makeup with orange tones. Try makeup with shades of salmon, copper, peach, melon, and soft brown.
4. Use FDA-approved colored contact lenses.
Even if you’re only using colored contact lenses for cosmetic purposes, you still need a prescription before you can purchase them. After all, contact lenses are considered medical devices. As such, you should only use FDA-approved lenses.
Knockoff lenses may be cheap, but they pose a danger to your eyes. Buying FDA-approved contact lenses means that you are getting top-notch products that have passed numerous health, safety, and quality tests.
5. Follow contact lens care and safety protocols.
Whether you’re a veteran contact lens wearer or a newbie who is just about to buy their first pair of contact lenses, you need to practice strict contact lens safety. Remember these steps when wearing, removing, cleaning, or storing your lenses.
- Always wash your hands with water and antibacterial soap before touching your contact lenses.
- Put in your contact lenses before applying makeup.
- Take out your contact lenses before removing makeup.
- Always follow the replacement schedule of your contact lenses. Daily disposable lenses are not meant to be worn for more than one day.
- Avoid sleeping in your contact lenses unless they are FDA-approved for extended wear.
- Clean your contact lens case every night by rinsing it with your disinfecting solution.
- Replace your contact lens case every three months.
Don’t be afraid to try new things and spice up your makeup routine. Use colored contact lenses to change your look and go from plain and boring to fresh and vibrant. As long as you follow the tips outlined in this post, you’ll have nothing to worry about. Consult with your eye care professional today and get a prescription for colored contact lenses.